Home > Admissions > Hostel Rules & Regulations
HOSTEL RULES AND REGULATIONS
HOSTEL RULES AND REGULATIONS
These rules are applicable to both Men / Ladies Hostels.
- The allotment of rooms will be made by the Chief Warden based on the application submitted by the candidate.
- Admission and continued stay in the hostel depend upon the academic performance, good behaviour and conduct of the student.
- The student should stay in the allotted room for one complete semester. Change in rooms in mid-semester is not possible.
- The hostellers with chronic medical problems will be asked to vacate the room immediately as personal medical care by parent / guardian will be necessary.
- If a student is expelled from the University for any reason he/she should immediately vacate the hostel on the day of expulsion from the University. His / her continuance in the hostel will be treated as unauthorised occupation.
- The hostellers themselves are personally responsible to safeguard their belongings. They are not to keep large amounts of cash or valuables like gold, costly wristwatch etc., in their rooms. They should also take care of their purse, calculators, cell phones, computers and books. In case of theft or loss of any items it should be reported to authorities. The hostellers are advised to keep their rooms, boxes, suitcases, cupboards, etc., securely locked with good quality locks.
- Continuation of stay of a student in the hostel is subject to the discretion of the administration.
- All movements from and to the hostels should be recorded in the movement register kept with the security guard at the entrance of the hostel and should be properly signed.
Hostel ID (ladies hostel): Student should contact the hostel office regarding the hostel ID. The students should leave the hostel ID at the main gate in case they leave the campus and should collect the same from the security when entering. ID’s not collected at the main gate will be issued at the hostel office to the students only after 15 days. During that period they cannot leave the institute premises. In case of lost ID cards, the student should register her case at the office of the Students Welfare and then the duplicate card will be issued one month later after payment of Rs.200/-. Parents should not encourage students to go to picnics/tours outside Vellore.
- The attendance timing is 8.00 to 9.30 pm for ladies hostel.
- In the case of Men’s hostel all hostellers have to be present in their respective rooms and keep open the rooms between 9:30 pm &10:30 pm every day (except Saturday for Men's Hostel) to enable the Wardens / Block Supervisors to take the attendance.
- The hostellers will be permitted to change their rooms only after Chief Warden’s approval.
- The hostel rooms are subject to inspection by the University / Hostel authorities to make sure that they are kept neat and tidy and no unauthorized items like liquor, drugs, lethal weapons etc., are kept in the room. Possession of any lethal weapons or any instrument / contrivance, which is likely to cause physical harm to others, is strictly prohibited.
- Perfect silence is to be maintained in the hostel premises including rooms, bathrooms, dining halls, corridors, common areas etc., Every student of the hostel should have the civic responsibility that he or she should not be a cause inconvenience, annoyance or disturbance to others.
- The hostellers should not enter into any unnecessary conversation, quarrel or altercation with the hostel staff. If anyone has any complaint against any employee of the hostel, a written complaint against the person is to be lodged with the Warden. Use of abusive, vulgar and unparliamentarily language against the hostel/mess staff is strictly forbidden. Any complaint received from staff/faculty towards students will be taken action seriously.
- If any hosteller is found indulging in any form of instigation / intimidation / threat to any other hostellers he / she will be asked to vacate the hostel forthwith. In this regard, the decision of the Chief Warden is final and binding on the individual's concerned.
- Smoking is prohibited in the hostel buildings. Gambling in any form such as playing cards (even without money at stake), consumption of alcohol, use of drugs and narcotics and even possession of such things are prohibited. Anyone found indulging in the use of such things will not only be asked to vacate the hostel but also be rusticated from the University.
- Day scholars are not allowed in the hostel. Hostellers should not encourage entry of day scholars.
- Celebrating birthday parties inside the hostel rooms is strictly prohibited.
- Collection of donation for any purpose (Religious/ otherwise) is also strictly prohibited.
- Students are not allowed to play skating rollers and other outdoor games inside the hostel to prevent breakages and accidents. Sliding along the hand rails/rest of stairs and fast running/ climbing down should be totally avoided to prevent accidents.
- When leaving the rooms for attending classes or for vacation, etc., fans, electrical gadgets, lights etc., should be switched off. Glass windows are to be closed securely.
- Students absenting themselves from regular classes will have to take the permission of the Warden and communicate the information to the Chief Warden.
- Hostellers coming to the Hostel after the gate closing hours without prior permission or without valid reason would be fined. Regular late comers will not be allowed to stay in the hostel.
- Clock alarms should be switched off, when not in use. There have been instances when students have set the alarm and gone on long leave, and some of them ringing for hours and spoiling the peace of fellow hostellers.
- Water should be carefully used and not wasted.
- Wrong entry, improper / lack of entry in exit register, signing on behalf of another person, tampering with the entries, proxy attendance and misguidance of any nature are punishable. In case of any quarrel between or among room mates it should be reported to the Warden for appropriate action.
- Absentees / Latecomers (without prior permission from the Warden) will be suitably punished.
- Students coming late / or absent regularly will be expelled from the Hostel. Such students shall not be readmitted under any circumstances.
- At the time of starting of the semester, no student should lock any room other than the officially allotted room. If the allotted room is a shared accommodation the student should inform the other student in the room or Warden whenever they are going out of the hostel. Students leaving the hostel after the semester or discontinuing their stay should never lock their rooms and cupboards.
- Students are not allowed to keep any power driven two wheeler vehicles in the hostel.
- The hostellers are not allowed to keep air coolers, musical instruments, cassette record players, and computers, TV, electric irons or any electrical equipment without written permission of the Chief Warden. Unauthorised possession will lead to confiscation of the goods.
- Use of Computers:
- Installation of computer systems in the hostel rooms should be done only after getting written permission from the Chief Warden.
- The usage of computer is for academic purpose only.
- The University / Hostel authorities will conduct surprise checks periodically and if anyone is found violating the above rule, disciplinary action will be taken against him/her.
- Use of cell phones:
Ordinary cell phone could be used by the student but not inside the class rooms, examination halls, Laboratory, Library, offices and during silence hour in the hostel.
- Students should visit the hostel office only during visiting hours. Students should read the circulars put up at all blocks and be updated with the functioning of the hostel.
- Students are instructed to attend the General meetings of the hostel. It is mandatory for Members of the Students council who are hostellers and Mess committee members.
- Violation of any of these rules would result in punitive action and serious violations would be referred to the "Students Disciplinary Committee". The decision of the committee would however be final.
The procedure to be followed regarding leave and outing is available at http://www.vit.ac.in/MyVIT/revised_Hostel_Rules.asp
Guests are not permitted to stay in any of the hostels. If the parents wish to stay, then the student / parent may approach the Public Relations Officer for getting accommodation in the Guest House, subject to availability of, the room in the Guest House will be provided on payment basis.
Parents/ Guardian visiting the student should remain in the visiting room of the hostel. Entry into the hostel blocks is not permitted.
- All the students of the hostel should take their food in the allotted mess only.
- Change of mess is allowed once in a month. The mess change is allowed in the end of the previous month so that he/she can dine from the beginning of the next month.
- The meal timings are displayed at the entrance of the dining hall. These timings are to be strictly adhered to. It is not obligatory on the part of the kitchen/dining hall staff to serve the meals outside the prescribed timings.
- A separate Mess Card will be issued to each hostel block student. The identity card is to be produced at the dining hall, at the time of breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner, failing which service in the dining hall is liable to be refused, for want of identification.
- Dining hall furniture like chairs, tables, etc., and utensils like stainless steel tumblers, plates, spoons etc., are not to be taken out of the dining hall. If anyone is found taking these dining hall properties out, he/she will be suitably penalized.
- The hostel kitchen is strictly "Out of Bounds" for the students/parents/guardians.
- Sick person will be served mess food in the room, only if the student registers their name with the Warden.
- The hostellers shall not waste food, electricity & water. Wastage of food is a national loss. If anyone is found indulging in such wastage, he/she will be asked to vacate the hostel, since wastage causes unnecessary and unavoidable expenditure to others.
- Rough handling of dining hall furniture, room furniture or any furniture / property or fittings of the hostel is strictly forbidden.
- The cost of damages will be recovered in the following manner:
- If any individual or group is identified to have caused the damage, double the cost will be recovered from him/her/group.
- If damage is done in anyone of the rooms and the person(s) is / are not identified then double the cost will be recovered from the room-mates collectively.
- If a damage is done outside the rooms i.e., in common places like corridors, bathrooms, recreation halls, mess etc., and the person(s) is/ are not identified, then double the cost will be recovered, floor wise or block wise or on the whole, as the case may be.Stuents found damaging the property will be expelled from the hostel.
- All hostel students (Boys & Girls) will vacate their rooms before proceeding on summer vacation.
- A separate cloak room will be made available to keep their belongings while proceeding on vacation. Personal belongings should be placed inside locked suitcases, trunks/boxes and should bear complete details. The items kept inside the room are to be entered in the note book kept by the in-charge of the cloak room.
- Students who have kept their belongings in the cloak room should positively report on or one day before the reopening day and move to their respective rooms. Students who come late will not be entertained for any loss of property and will be penalized.
- In case of final year girl student’s parent’s approval is necessary [Fax format as given below] before vacating the hostel. In case students who vacate in-between the semester, permission from programme manager and parents approval is mandatory.
- Students who have vacated should not enter the hostel without prior permission from hostel authorities.
- Old Students/Project Review students should seek permission to stay in hostel only after informing their Program Manager. An easier procedure would be to forward a mail through the program manager to the firstname.lastname@example.org (boys)/ email@example.com (girls). The approval will be made through email to the student who can pay the required rent at the Finance Office and come to the hostel. They should stay only in the cabins provided to them and follow the rules of the hostel during their stay.
- 24 hours Medical facility is available in the campus.
- Any hosteller, who is not well, should report to the Warden / resident Doctor for appropriate advice.
- If the sick person requires medical care by outside hospital at any time, a form meant for the same should be filled along with the signature of the patient if possible or by the accompanying person and submitted to Warden/ Superintendent/ Additional Superintendent for arranging the ambulance.
- A sick student should invariably be accompanied by a nurse, while going to outside hospital.
- If the situation warrants, admission to an outside hospital as inpatient, the same is to be reported to the Chief Warden immediately.
- If any sick hosteller requires special diet, the individual should inform the mess supervisor through the warden concerned for making suitable provisions.
- English newspapers and magazines are provided in each hostel. Hostellers are requested to make best use of them. Magazines could be borrowed against the identity cards for limited period so as to enable wide circulation.
- There is a provision to subscribe to the newspapers/ magazines to be delivered in the rooms. Hostel Superintendent / Additional Superintendent may be contacted for further details.
- Common TV viewing rooms are provided and they are open upto 8:55 pm. (11:25 pm on Saturday) so as to allow the hostellers to get back to their hostel room before the silence hour starts. The above TV timings would be very strictly observed without exception what so ever. However, during study holidays and exam period TVs shall not be operated.
- A washerman/ washerwomen collect’s the clothes for washing in the hostel itself. The hostellers can avail this opportunity on payment basis.
- A hair dressing shop/beauty parlour functions in the first floor of the Shopping Complex for the benefit of the students.
- The hostellers have to collect their mails from the letter stand.
- In case of Speed Post (for ladies hostel), the student should collect the intimation slip from the Warden and collect the post from the post office.
- Caution Deposit
A sum fixed by the management will have to be paid towards Caution Deposit, which will be refunded, when the student vacates the hostel after deducting the dues, if any.
- Establishment Charges
a. The Establishment charges will have to be paid for each semester or each year as decided by the management.
b. The amount once collected is not refundable on any account.
c. The Hostel accounting month for the mess charges will be from 21st of a month to 20th of the following month.
21st of a month to 20th of the following month.
- Mess Bills
a. The hostel charges for each month will be displayed in the hostel notice board by the 2nd of the following month. b. Hostel charges can be paid by Bank Drafts, drawn in favour of "Vellore Institute of Technology" payable at Vellore.
- Rebate on Mess Bills
Those who are absent from the hostel, for a period not less than seven continuous days alone are eligible for rebate, provided the boarder produces a written authority from the respective Programme Manager (for PGs) and Proctor (for UGs) before proceeding on the assignment which necessitates the absence from the campus. And the reduction is calculated using the formula (N-3) [(no. of days leave taken – 3) * rate per day]
- AC charges
The AC charges of the room will be divided among the occupants of the room.
Ragging in any form (making unpleasant noise, disorderly conduct, doing any act which causes or likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear of shame or an embarrassment to the new student, which include teasing, abusing, playing practical jokes on or causing hurt to such students or asking the new student to do any act or to perform such things which such student will not in the ordinary course willingly do) is strictly forbidden. If anyone is found guilty of ragging he/ she will be expelled and also liable for prosecution under the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997 which will result in a minimum punishment with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years and shall also be liable to a fine of Rs.10,000/-
All the rules and regulations given above are applicable to the Foreign Students as well. In addition, the following special rules are meant exclusively for foreign students.
- If any student wants to leave the country on vacation or for any other purpose, the individual will submit a written application atleast 15 days prior to the date of departure to the Director to enable the office to obtain all the required clearances from the authorities concerned.
- The application should have details such as (i) purpose, (ii) duration of stay out side India, (iii) full contact address with phone number.
- No student shall leave the town without the written consent as indicated above. Failure will be treated as serious violation of rules and the appropriate authorities will be informed for pursuing further action.
XIII. Payment Policies
- All Payments related to the Institute should be paid in the form of Demand Draft only, favouring
"VIT University" payable at Vellore, Tamil Nadu.
- Petty Cash payments by the Institute can be made by way of cash upto Rs.5,000/- on production of the ID card.
Cash Payment Hours: 09.00am to 04.30 pm/ Cash Receipt Hours: 09.00am to 06.00pm
- Cash Payment and Receipt for Ladies Hostel students can be made at the main Finance Office.
- Refund of the University Caution Deposit will be made (after completion of the course) only in the last week of June.
- Refund of Hostel Caution Deposit will be made in the months of February / July for the related semesters.
- Before vacating the Hostel, the students are required to inform the Hostel / Mess authorities well in advance in writing to avoid Excess Mess Billings.
|2||Student’s Reg. No.|
|3||Hostel Block Name|
|4||Hostel Room No.|
|5||Date & Time of Departure|
Date & Time of Arrival
(only in case of Term End Vacation leave)
|9||Mobile Number or Landline Number|
|10||Purpose of leave|
Signature of the Parent
- Please fax this form to 0416-4207074/ 2240166
- 2) This form should be sent at least 72 hours (3 days) before the departure time mentioned above. Otherwise, outing permission will not be granted.
- 3) For student’s safety, students are discouraged to travel in odd hours. So they will not be allowed to leave the hostel or arrive at the hostel between 8.30pm and 7.00am.